Sunday, September 9, 2007

The first of many

Well, after much deliberation I have decided to try my hand at blogging. Today was a real push towards the decision, as I feel this is a space I can vent some excess frustration, and shed some light on the interesting, mysterious practice of Motherhood.

Today, the opening day of the 2007 NFL season has been a reminder of how quickly little hands, (and feet,) can get into things when you let your guard down. As I mention in my profile, we are in the process of building a house. Can I get a STRESSFUL shout out here?!? Soooooo my oldest son is spending the weekend with my parents, (yea Mom!) That also means my second set of eyes is gone though. What do I mean? I mean my "Momma! The twins are ..." set of eyes. Of course, I keep a pretty close eye on them, I mean they are 2 -2 1/2 year olds...you HAVE to keep a close eye on them.


BUT, (you know there's always a BUT in these kind of stories,) today I missed the cues somehow that my twins were into something they shouldn't have been into. It was called a can of paint. Yep, I mean latex based yellow paint that I bought to paint trim on the cabinets for a bathroom in the new house kind of paint can. Not only did they somehow manage to wrench it open, but they even found a paintbrush, and attempted to paint the cabinets, mind you NOT the trim, along with about a dozen totes packed full of stuff to move, the floors and walls in the dining room of our RENTAL house, and a light switch. Did I mention the footprints all the way down the hall? And let's not forget the best part of painting with your brother...painting ON your brother. That would mean, hair, face, arms, legs, clothing, the whole 9 yards. So how did I find out about this little fun exploit by the twin men? That would be when one got mad at the other and came running down the hall screaming "Momma!" That explains the footprints, huh!


Well let me put it this way, when Andy rounded the corner I was off the bed in .00000000000000025 seconds. I nabbed him and took him straight to the shower, not bothering to wait for the water to get warm. I then had to go and retrieve Alex from his painting frenzy and transport a dripping wet, covered in paint child to the cold shower. I left them fully clothed, I mean, the shower could rinse clothes for me right? Now that the shower had warmed up a bit they started rinsing each other off, so I went to tackle the puddle of paint in the dining room. Puddle you ask...yes puddle I exclaim. All I can say is thank God for the laminate flooring which resists everything. And yes, I do know this from previous experiences. just ask the old box of food coloring they got into last fall...it will tell you laminate flooring is a Mom's lifesaver at times like these.


Fortunately all the paint was still wet, and I was able to get all of it off the walls, and floor with relative ease. By relative, I mean of course, much scrubbing and a few curse words. The cabinets I had almost completely painted? Well, we'll just be painting those again with some kilz and starting from scratch where those are concerned. So fast forward a bit. I finished the cleaning of the floors and walls to move on to the kids. I did the best I could with a bottle of baby shampoo, a bath cloth, and a fine tooth comb. For you who may need to know, a fine tooth comb will not remove paint from hair, but it will remove hair from your child's head. I don't recommend it! Once I had cleaned all I could clean, I dried the little offenders off and dressed them for bed. No mind that it was just 2 PM, no, they were banished to their room for the rest of the day. Not that it is really a punishment to be banished to your room full of toys with your brother to play with you, mind you, but it is all I have.


Man, I shoulda bought that bag of coffee at Starbucks yesterday! I sure could use a cuppa coffee right now.....

2 comments:

Brenda Quintana said...

I don't know whether to laugh or feel really, really bad for you. I enjoyed reading the story immensely. Sending you a cyber coffee and a hug.

Tif said...

LOL...thanks for a good laugh:)
You gotta love kids!